Sunday, November 06, 2005

I should own stock in Petsmart...

Last month I ran out of money fast...very fast..and couldn't figure out why. I got my ssdi check on the 4th and by the 17th I had 40 dollars left in my account. I've been waiting and waiting to get the bank statement to see where the hell all my money went and well...I need to be banned from going into petsmart alone. In ten days I spent 250$ there. That's not including the vet bills, from the vet inside Petsmart which was only 60$(this time heh). That's also not including things I bought with cash there which *quickly adding in my head* was at least 40-50$. My bank statement in a fucked up way is somewhat amusing to me though. petsmart, cigs, petsmart, petsmart, petsmart, grocery store, petsmart, cigs, cigs, petsmart, banfield(the vet), walmart, petsmart, target.

I was sitting here last night, after a trip to guess where? yep Petsmart, but I was sitting here and I looked up on my desk at the bottle of "Miracle coat leave in conditioner for dogs" and next to it was my bottle of Pantene conditioner for myself (I hadn't put either of them away yet because as soon as I came home I gave Sketch his new toy and was watching him to make sure he didnt destroy and eat it in a matter of seconds) and wondering why I never even second guessed the fact that the dogs' shampoo, leave in conditioner, and food prices are all double what I spend on myself for the same things.

My Pantene I splurge on: $3.50 for shampoo and $3.50 for conditioner
Dog Shampoo: $7.99, Leave-in conditioner: $10.99

My food...well I get 10 dollars in food stamps a month so I'll subtract that out, so food costs me: about 40$ a month (if I'm in a eating mood)
Dog food:50$ for prescription diet food for Lick, Sketchs' "puppy chow" was I think about 25$, Prescription dental diet I mix in with their food 20$ for a total of: 95$ a month

My medical costs: 0$ ....wait wait, I bought a multivitamin for I think it was 7$
Dog medical costs: wellness plan sign-up fees 70$ and 45$(gotta love that huge second pet discount) and monthly payment of 19.95 for Lick and 15.95 for Sketch.

Have I lost my mind? This is only the DOGS!....we could add in the cat food, rat food, fish food, crickets twice a week, mealworms, bedding for rats and lizards, filters for the fish tank, cat litter, Jack needs a dental bad before his teeth start falling out that'll cost around 200$...

No fuckin wonder I'm always broke....

But, even being more aware of it now, (because I also redid my monthly animal care sheet and saw that every freakin day there's always something...at least one of the six tanks to clean, litterboxes to sift, baths to give, nails to trim, dogs to walk/take to the dog park/train, rats to socialize, geckos to socialize, vet trips, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum...I'll still pay the money and I'll still do all the things that need done, cuz even though it may seem completely insane to most people to have one's life revolve around their pets, I love them and they give back to me more then money or my time working with them could ever do.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

animals r a lot nicer than humans

6:58 PM, November 06, 2005  
Blogger themadhatter said...

animals= unconditional love
humans= not capable of it

11:12 PM, November 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bank statement reads pretty much the same way, more like:

GAS,CIGS,GAS,GAS,GAS,CIGS

I must just drive around and smoke like a fool all day.

12:36 AM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger themadhatter said...

ah..i have a seperate gas card...so apparently i must drive around all day to Petsmarts smokin like a chimney...

1:54 AM, November 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap i needa a pet a car n 2 take up smokin do u think it will socialize me?

12:57 PM, November 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if I get this job at Petco, I'll get a discount on all the crap that I have to buy. But....then again, I'll probably end up with a few more pets too....

1:18 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger GH said...

I hear ya! When I had Suess (my red/blue fish) I managed to spend quite a bit. Pretty expensive betta! Heated/lighted 8 gallon tank to himself. I raised my own brine shrimp for him (healthier). And somehow found myself in pet stores about once a week. Not that I'm obsessive or anything ;)

Suess died at 3 and a half years old. I guess that's good for a betta.

7:36 PM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger themadhatter said...

ooooo GH has mad crazy tight pet namin skills...*translation* that's an awesome name you picked out for yer fish, and next time i get a animal I'm comin to you to hook me up with a good name for it. (cuz my pet naming skills suck)

and "Heated/lighted 8 gallon tank to himself. I raised my own brine shrimp for him (healthier). And somehow found myself in pet stores about once a week"

that rocks :)

11:01 PM, November 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home