Sunday, July 24, 2005

1000 Chinese Praying Mantis's ...woops

I wanted some Mantis's. I love the little things, theyre mating habits, how they look. They're just cool. In Phoenix though they're very rare. I know you can buy them from garden supply stores and things like that though because the're benficial insects for gardening, like ladybugs etc. So I go online and look up a place and place my order. I ordered 6 egg cases, on the site it says attach them to bushes/trees with sticks or string and they will hatch in 4-6 weeks. Sweet I'm gonna have a bunch of manti's in 4-6 weeks! They arrived a few days ago. I just got home yesterday and opened them up and read the instruction sheet that came with them. My eyes get big at the first line. "the chinese praying mantis" chinese?? uhh..I thought these were american ones..hmm..aren't chinese ones the ones that are the largest of the species?? *guick google* yes, they are the largest of the species reaching over 5 inches...hmm..ohhh k. I read on..."t0 hatch, attach to twig or with string to plant at 76-86 degree and within 4-6 weeks 150-200 will emerge from the egg case. 76-86 degrees??? um..FUCK. I can't put them outside right now its anywhere from 100-120 degrees right now. and I dont think its ever 76-86 degrees in phoenix for 4-6 weeks plus a few more weeks for them to change from nymphs to actual mantis' **scratches head, looks at bottles of mantis egg cases, notices there is a 4th in one of the jars, bonus! always nice but..how the fuck am i gonna hatch all these things?** I'm trying to remember I think about mid october it starts cooling off.

So I guess my plan is right now I have one egg case setup in my room to hatch hopefully theyll be able to handle the temp change. I'm going to take 3 off the cases in the beginging of october and hatch them inside as well and hope the temp will be right to release them when they hatch and the last three I'm gonna string up hatch outside at the end of october. Hopefully bewtween doing them differently I'll up with at least a couple hundred that survive. Or worse case scenario they all hatch and all survive and I end up with over 1000 of em and cause a major problem and itll be on the news. ""Chinese Mantis overwhelms surprise area, changes whole eco-system""
heh..I swear officer it wasn't me...well yah my email is Prayingmantis4@aol.com and well yah I do send mail out sumtimes with a return address of Pray N. Mantis...ok yah I do get things mailed to Miss Praying Mantis too but I I I i dont like the bugs? heh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home